The locality is freely accessible. Nonetheless, it has been neglected for quite a long time. It has been decaying without raising any major public concern since the last pre-war research, the remnants of which are still visible today. You can reach the locality by turning right from the road to Čankov approximately 200 metres from the junction above the railway viaduct, or you can walk down from the church in Sedlec on the road leading along the Sedlec manor.
The stronghold in Přemilovce is one of the localities where the German archaeologist, Viktor Karell, attempted to resolve the issue of German colonization before World War II (1937). A very old type of residential tower (donjon), which was typical of Egerland (the German name for the area of Cheb) and the neighbouring lands of Bavaria, Thüringen, and Vogtland, was uncovered in Přemilovice (as later in Dalovice). It definitely dates back to the 12th century in Egerland and to a somewhat later period in the area of Loket.
Donjons began appearing in Bohemian castles from the mid 13th century, which, in our case, supports the concept of an imported ministerial architecture. Moreover, donjons were neither the only nor the main residential structures in Bohemian castles, which, on the other hand, was a rule for all castles built in the areas of Cheb and Loket. In these regions, residential towers or donjons most probably represented a typical fortified manor of ministeriales closely connected with farming premises in the period of colonization, or a knightly manor of the gradually developing vassal system around Loket Castle.
Even if the presumed foundation of the stronghold is dated back to the 13th century at the latest, the first written record of the village of Přemilovice once again dates back to a later period, i.e. to the mid 15th century. Moreover, the meaning of the name of the village (Přemilovice may be understood as a village belonging to the Přemilový family) suggests earlier settlement also with regard to the documented existence of vassalhood. Andreas of Steinbach with the predicate "seated in Přemilovice" is the first mentioned vassal in 1464.
In the 16th century, the estate was still in the possession of his descendants, the knights of the Steinbach family. The stronghold in Přemilovice is situated on an elevated mound (motte) surrounded by a water-filled moat, which is partly filled with debris in the north and east. In addition to the moat, the site is protected by a 160-metre long circular rampart, the preserved parts of which rise to 2 or even 3 metres. The average width of the stronghold at the crown of the rampart is 50 metres and the motte alone is 15 metres wide.
A residential tower (donjon) stood on the artificial mound which was reinforced by another defensive tower (keep) in the northeast. The entry was located in the northwest and it was 90 centimetres wide. The donjon had a square layout with external dimensions 840 x 840 centimetres, with 170-centimetre thick walls, and internal dimensions of 500 x 500 centimetres. The keep adjoining the donjon had full foundations and dimensions of 440 x 330 centimetres. A step easement was detected at the entrance in the direction of the tower with dimensions of 420 x 150 centimetres.
Stones were laid on lime mortar containing Karlovy Vary thermal tuff. The archaeologist conducting the research dated the foundation of the stronghold to the late 12th century – undoubtedly in connection with Staufen influence in the Loket district in the 1180s – and its end to the 16th century. Nonetheless, certain doubts necessitate a more conservative dating of the foundation of the stronghold to the 13th century as in the case of the stronghold in Dalovice.