The locality is not freely accessible. It is a private property and serves as a horse-range. Nevertheless, you can see the site from a distance over the remains of a water-filled moat, preferably from the east or north. You can easily reach the site by the road leading through the Jeřeň village green.
Based on historical resources, the existence of the local manor dates back to the 2nd half of the 13th century.
In 1282, Cunradus miles de Yeres (English: Condrad Knight of Yeres) is named as a witness in a written record. The fact that he denotes himself as a Knight of Jeření should serve as sufficient evidence of settlement in the locality. The last to denote himself as a Knight of Jeření (de Gerznie) was Beneš of Rýzmburk in 1407.
The estate had lost its independence at some time before 1585 when Jan Valdemar of Lobkovic sold the stronghold, the farmstead, and the village to Kryštof of Štampach and it thus became a part of the Valeč demesne.
Today, only a marked terrain formation has been preserved from the original stronghold in the centre of the village. The formation comprises a central round mound (motte) with a diameter of approximately 27 metres, surrounded by a moat. In the northwest, the moat remains filled with muddy water to this day. Three collapsed cellars are embedded in the central motte in the north and northwest.
Archaeological research of the central motte was carried out by the Karlovy Vary Museum (Jiří Klsák) in 1997. An archaeological cross probe, the centre of which was aligned with the centre of the motte, was selected to determine traces of old structures. The 830 centimetre long and 140 centimetre wide arms of the probe covered the core of the stronghold. The southern arm of the probe detected stonework masonry foundations jointed with white clay soil with a clear external and internal face and traces of further internal segmentation of the premises. The western arm discovered another part of the same stonework, as well as additional masonry outside a destroyed structure. Clear signs of fire in the form of burnt red soil were found in all the probe arms.
The overall finds implied that the archaeological research had intercepted the masonry foundations of a stone structure, possibly that of a 1000 x 1000 centimetre square layout and with walls at least 280 centimetres thick. Presuming that the complex was a stronghold with a residential tower (donjon), the discovered structure was a two or three-storey stone building located in the southwest sector of the stronghold, with another unknown structure built from stone and possibly located further west in the open space. Significant traces of fire indicate that a large volume of wood burnt on the site; most probably wooden buildings that were a part of the stronghold and that stood in the open space. It is also obvious that the devastating fire sealed the physical existence of the stronghold. A phase of natural disintegration of the stone complex followed, during which the decaying stone walls occasionally served for other construction activities.
The archaeological finds suggest that the stronghold had been inhabited between the 13th and 16th centuries as more recent findings were quite sporadic.