The locality is freely accessible. You can reach it by a path leading from Körner's Oak in the park in Dalovice along the training farm of the local secondary agricultural school or by a small road leading from the Local Authority Office in Příční Street, around the local pub and up the hill towards the training farm.
The presence of the first farmers in Dalovice during the Late Stone Age (Neolithic) is supported by finds attributable to the linear ceramic culture. The findings comprise a pottery set decorated with volutes and angular cut pegs. The ceramic set was discovered during excavations carried out by Viktor Karell in 1938 and 1941 on the site of a medieval stronghold – in filled layers as interpreted by Karell. Despite being found at a secondary site, these findings unambiguously document the existence of a Neolithic settlement in the more advanced period of the first farming culture in the territory of the region of Karlovary Vary. Follow-up research conducted on the site by the Karlovy Vary Museum (Jiří Klsák) in 2001 surprisingly confirmed the presence of another primeval culture (i.e. the Knovíz Culture from the Bronze Age).
The stronghold in Dalovice belonged to localities where the German archaeologist Viktor Karell (1938) attempted to resolve the issue of German colonization. As before in the village of Přemilovice, the excavations in Dalovice uncovered a very old type of a residential tower (a donjon), which was typical of Egerland (the German name for the area of Cheb) and the neighbouring lands of Bavaria, Thüringen, and Vogtland. It definitely dates back to the 12th century in Egerland and to a somewhat later period in the area of Loket.
Donjons began appearing in Bohemian castles from the mid 13th century, which, in our case, supports the concept of imported ministerial architecture. Moreover, the donjons were neither the only nor the main residential structures in Bohemian castles, which, on the other hand, was a rule for castles built in the areas of Cheb and Loket. In these regions, residential towers or donjons most probably represented a typical fortified manor of ministeriales closely connected with farming premises in the period of colonization.
An interesting fact is that, based on archaeological finds, the foundation of the stronghold in Dalovice occurred not later than in the 13th century even though the written records associated with the history of Dalovice are much more recent – the first records were generally dated to 1502 and more recently to 1457 and 1462 (Arkl Tüzel de Stalticz).
The Dalovice stronghold is situated in the middle of the village at a strategically advantageous location on an elevated terrace artificially raised by layers of sandy soil, which means that prior to the excavations the mound (the motte) towered almost five metres above the surrounding terrain. A path led along the southern and northern side of the motte. The stronghold with a round ground plan had a higher platform with a diameter of approximately 11 metres that was originally overgrown with trees and shrubbery. Apart from the large difference in height, it was fortified by a dry moat with a rampart, the remains of which were still visible on its northern side until quite recently. The residential tower excavated on the site is an irregular square, the dimensions of which are 700 x 670 centimetres. The average thickness of the stone walls is 140 centimetres; the internal dimensions are 420 x 390 centimetres. The entrance was located in the east and several steps led into the tower premises.
As on the site in Přemilovce, stones were laid on lime mortar that also contained Carlsbad thermal tuff. The pottery discovered on the site confirmed the existence of the stronghold from the 13th until the 16th century.
The excavated residential tower was covered with soil as early as in the early 1940s and it lay forgotten for many decades, in the course of which the romantic site with three aging oaks gradually turned into a heap of rubbish. Only in 2001, after completing the follow-up archaeological research, the stone residential tower was finally unearthed and conservation work was carried out on the damaged ruin thanks to the efforts of the municipality of Dalovice.