Observation Tower on Tisovský Hill
The woody Tisovský vrch (also known as Pajndl according to the German name Peindelberg, English: Tisovský Hill) rises to 977 metres over the town of Nejdek in Krušné hory (Ore Mountains). At the top, we may find a massive stone observation tower built between 1895 and 1897 by the Ore Mountains Society from Nejdek (Neudeker Erzgebirgsverein). The society was inspired by the immense success of look-out towers on Klínovec and Plešivec Mountains. Builder Schöberle placed the tower at the top of a 10-metre granite rock and he used granite rock to build the tower itself.
Construction commenced in July 1895, the tower was handed over to the public during its grand opening on September 1, 1897. The costs amounted to some 4,000 guldens. The structure has a square floor plan with 5 metres long sides. The tower walls are 1.3 metres thick. The height of the tower from the entry doorsill up to the lookout gallery surrounded by a cast-iron banister is 18 metres. The total height of the tower with a glass roof and a lightning rod is 24 metres. The lookout platform is accessible by climbing 114 granite stairs. The huge popularity of the tower among tourists resulted in the building of a lodge in 1908 (its opening took place on the 7th of June). The lodge disappeared during World War II and the observation tower, neglected for many years, was facing rapid dilapidation. Initial rescue works were carried out by the National Town Council in Nejdek between the years 1986 and 1987. In 1997, the tower was renovated and celebrated its 100th anniversary. The observation tower was declared a cultural monument in 1995. It is freely accessible.