The Diana Tower is 35 metres high and it was built according to the design of town architect Breinl by builder Fousek between the years 1912 and 1914. The costs amounted to 110,000 crowns and a café with a restaurant for 250 persons were built in its vicinity. The grand opening of the observation tower took place on May 27, 1914. Soon afterwards, it was named after Hans Kudlich and also after President Beneš for a short period from 1945.
The lookout gallery offers a view of almost the entire city of Karlovy Vary, the lovely valleys of the Ohře and Teplá Rivers. Visitors may also admire the numerous excursion destinations in the vast spa woods. The north horizon is dominated by the range of Krušné hory (Ore Mountains) with its highest peak Klínovec. The south and east view offer a panorama of Doupovské vrchy (Doupov Mountains) and Slavkovský les (Slavkov Forest). The observation tower underwent extensive reconstruction in late 1997 and since January 1998, visitors may use a newly installed lift instead of climbing the 150 stairs. The observation tower is open daily from 9.00 am to 8.00 pm all year round.
Photo: Rudolf Vážný