The beginning of the history of the pilgrimage site in Mariánská Týnice dates back to 1230 and it is closely linked to the activities of the Cistercian Monastery in the nearby town of Plasy. The heyday of the pilgrimage site began in the second half of the 17th century with the foundation of a provostry and the enlargement of the original church. The corner-stone of the future pilgrimage Church of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary designed by Jan Blažej Santini was laid in 1711. The church with a Greek cross ground plan was completed in the second half of the 18th century. The church dome collapsed in 1920 and it was reconstructed only in 2000. The regional museum is now open in the former provostry.