The earliest records of the village of Šindelová (literally meaning "Shingle Village") date back to 1480 when a watch stronghold known as Hradiště (Hill Fort) was built in the area of Krásná Lípa to guard a tin trail that led from Přebuz to Jindřichovice.
In 1512, six families settled under the stronghold and the settlement of Hradiště near Krásná Lípa is first mentioned in 1520. The Krásná Lípa demesne officially devolved upon the Šlik family of Jindřichovice. The Šliks were temporarily replaced by the Knights of Globen, however, they regained the stronghold in 1589 and with it the whole demesne up to its confiscation in 1648. Between the years 1678 and 1680, the Kraslice and Jindřichovice demesnes were acquired by Imperial General Otto von Nostitz and they remained a part of the dominion of the Nostitz family until 1945. Three hammer mills and a smelter were built in Šindelová in 1561.
In 1836, the construction of the largest ironworks in the region commenced and after their completion, a blast furnace, three large hammer mills, a tinning shop, a foundry, a rolling mill plant, and a core-moulding department were in operation. Three watermill wheels and the second largest steam engine in the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy powered the ironworks. Moreover, two world patents were applied at the ironworks – i.e. the technology of tin coating, later complemented with galvanizing, and continual engraving. The ironworks were also the first to process cinder into blocks. The world economic crisis in 1933 manifested itself through disturbances and strikes, which also affected the local ironworks. As a result, the ironworks partially changed their production.
In 1938, Šindelová had a population of 3,848. With the foundation of the local NSDAP branch in 1938, the annexation of the Sudetenland in September 1938, and the outbreak of World War II, the local factories switched to the production of arms. A branch of the Svatava concentration camp for women was created here in 1942 with a capacity of 75 prisoners. The end of World War II and the year 1945 brought the deportation of the German inhabitants accompanied by the unfortunate events in Krásná Lípa. New settlers were gradually coming to Šindelová in the post-war years. A part of the rolling mill buildings was disassembled and the machinery was sent to Slovakia.
The former ironworks premises – the blast furnace is a technical cultural monument .