At the beginning of the 13th century, the Lords of Neuberg settled east of Aš and not before long, they built a new castle on a high rocky buttress. The first written record of the castle dates back to 1288 when it was shortly lent as a part of a feoff to the Lords of Plavno. Soon after, it was returned to the Neuberg family. The castle remained in their possession until the death of the last male descendant of the Neuberg family in 1395 when the estate of Podhradí was obtained through marriage by the Zedwitzs. They held the castle for another 550 years up to 1945. During this time, the Zedwitzs built three additional manor houses in the close surroundings, which were known as Horní zámek (Upper Manor), Nový zámek (New Manor), and Dolní zámek (Lower Manor).
The original Romanesque castle was built in the northern part of the grounds. Later, perhaps at some time in the 14th century, the today’s 21.5 metres high round tower was erected on an elevated rock. The castle was probably abandoned in the 16th century and its ultimate end was brought about by a fire at the turn of the 16th and 17th century when the remains of the castle structures were demolished and used as building material.
A Renaissance chateau was built on the north-western castle foregrounds. Its precise appearance remains unknown. After being plundered by the Swedes at the turn of the 1630’s and 1640’s and once again in the late 17th century, the presumably three-wing chateau was thoroughly reconstructed into a large rectangular two-storey structure. Following a fire in 1902, the chateau was deserted and it gradually changed into a ruin, and only the remnants of its outer walls are standing today.
When the demesne was divided among several branches of the Zedwitz family, the members of one of the branches built a new manor house high above the northwest part of the village. It was later known as the New Manor and it was a rectangular two-storey building facing the south. It was demolished in the 1960’s due to its dilapidated condition and only its collapsed cellarage has been preserved.
In the mid 18th century, following another division of the demesne among the family, the Zedwitzs built another manor house known as the Lower Manor on a terrace below the older Upper Manor on the site of an older unknown structure. It was also a rectangular two-storey building with a wooden or half-timbered second floor. Two shorter wings were added to its southern forefront probably in the first half of the 19th century. The manor remained practically unchanged until the 1950’s; however, its dilapidation was subsequently accelerated. After a few years, it became hardly recognizable and was, therefore, demolished in 1965 without any documentation.