The Kynžvart Chateau was founded as a Renaissance stronghold in the 16th century and it remained in the continuous possession of the Metternich family from 1623 until 1945. In the 17th century, the stronghold was rebuilt into a Baroque chateau by Philipp Emmerich, Count von Metternich-Winneburg. In the 1820’s and 1830’s, the chateau was rebuilt in Viennese Classicism style by the renowned Italian architect Pietro Nobile to serve as a manor for the Austrian State Chancellor, Klemens Wenzel Lothar Johann Nepomuk, the 2nd Prince von Metternich-Winneburg, a prominent politician and statesman in 19th century Europe.
The chateau is surrounded by an English-style landscaped park spreading over an area of 300 hectares, with 10 ponds, as well as numerous smaller period-style structures and monuments that create a remarkable liaison.
The present-day chateau underwent a challenging reconstruction between 1998 and 2000 thanks to support from the European Union, namely its PHARE Cross-Border Co-operation Programme, and the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, which included the Kynžvart Chateau in the Architectural Heritage Conservation Programme.