History of the Village
The village of Kaceřov (German: Gätzegrün) is located approximately 3 kilometres north of the town of Kynšperk nad Ohří and 11 kilometres southwest of the town of Sokolov.
The village was founded in the process of colonisation of the district of Cheb (Egerland) and adjoining territories by German inhabitants in the first quarter of the 13th century. The village is first mentioned in written records in 1312 when the agricultural estate in Kaceřov was awarded to the Waldsassen Monastery.
The Waldsassen Monastery acquired property rights not only through purchasing land but also by way of donations and bequests. Thereby, the Cistercian monks also acquired ownership and feoff rights to the Kaceřov lands and serfs.
In preserved historical documents, we may come across the notable Lords of Hartenburg, a member of the Hager burgher family from Cheb, or Mikuláš Arnolt, most likely a serf. We may also come across a family belonging to the gentry who settled in the village and gave it its peculiar name – the Gätzengrüner family.
The Gätzengrüners assigned a part of their property rights in Kaceřov to the Waldsassen Monastery. Following vain efforts to re-acquire the property, the family sold their half of Kaceřov to Heinrich Reissengrüner, the founder of an important religious site in Chlum Svaté Maří, in the late 14th century.
In the 1470’s, the estate was acquired by the family of Perglers of Perglas. Pergler Götz resided in the village in a smaller feudal manor typical for his time. Between the years 1680 and 1742, Kaceřov serfs manifested their discontent with their continuously worsening livelihood, but their manifestations were not very radical enough to make a change.
The Pergler family had held the estate until the end of the 18th century when Karl Anton Pergler sold Kaceřov to his four serfs. Karl Anton and his descendants dedicated their life to military service. In 1846, the whole Kaceřov estate was acquired by a tradesman from Cheb, Josef August Hecht, and thus, the estate became once again united into a single property held by one owner. The estate had remained as a whole until the fall of feudalism when patrimonial administration was replaced by local administration. Kaceřov, which had belonged to the political municipality of Chlum Svaté Maří until 1874, finally became independent.
The manor in Kaceřov was founded by Karl Anton Pergler of Perglas in the 1770’s. The manor was built on the site of an older stronghold, complementing its shape to form an almost regular square. The manor walls were decorated with counter-level and crown cornice, the windows on the ground floor had simple mortar frames, but the windows on the first floor were decorated with castellated hood mouldings and separated by flat pilasters. The corners were augmented by bossage. The two-storey structure was covered by a mansard roof. The main entrance on the ground floor was situated on the north side in the middle of a triaxial forefront.
After 1948, the manor was used by the local agricultural co-operative, which did not treat the building as a historical monument. It is no wonder that in the early 1990’s the manor was in a very devastated condition. Today, the manor is the property of the municipality of Kaceřov and even if the manor has a new roof, its remaining parts are still quite dilapidated.