Slavkovský les (Slavkov Forest) covers the territory enclosed by Karlovy Vary, Mariánské Lázně and Kynšperk nad Ohří. It is distinguished by its unique landscape rising steeply above the Tachov Furrow and the Cheb and Sokolov Basins. In the southeast, it gradually descends into the Teplá Plateau. The whole area is of a peneplain character. The highest points of the Slavkov Forest, i.e. Lesný (983 metres above sea level) and Lysina (982 metres above sea level), are situated in the somewhat truncated uplands in the southwest. The area is mostly covered with spruce stands as only scattered remnants of the original beech or beech and fir forests have been preserved. A significant component of the south-western part of the Slavkov Forest are extensive raised bogs with stands of Swiss mountain pine (Pinus rotundata), European white birch (Betula pubescens), as well as typical peat vegetation species.
The Slavkovský les Protected Landscape Area was established based on an edict issued by the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Socialist Republic on 3 May 1974. It covers an area of 610 km2.
The most valuable landscape segments of Slavkovský les are subject to special protection in 26 small-size areas – i.e. National Nature Reserves (NNR), National Nature Monuments (NNM), Nature Reserves (NR), and Nature Monuments (NM).
Some of the areas accessible by tourist paths include:
- Kladské rašeliny NNR – 5 locations, with the Tajga peat bog accessible by following the nature trail
- Smraďoch NR – Nature trail
- Vlček NR – Accessible only up to Prameny by following the blue tourist mark
- Křížky NNM – Information board
- Svatošské skály NNM – Nature trail accessible by following the blue tourist mark on the Karlovy Vary – Loket tourist path
- Šemnická skála NM – Accessible by following the yellow tourist mark from Andělské Hory
- Upolínová louka NNM – Accessible for view only from the road near Prameny
- Holina NR – Accessible by following the green tourist mark from Lázně Kynžvart
- Údolí Teplé NR – Accessible by road or railway leading through the valley
- Dominova skalka NM – Accessible by following the green tourist mark from Bečov nad Teplou.
- Kynžvartský kámen NM – Accessible by following the yellow tourist mark from Lázně Kynžvart
- Čedičové varhany u Hlinek NM – Accessible from the road leading from Hlinky to Přílezy
- Koňský pramen NM – Accessible by following the red tourist mark from Chotěnov
- Čiperka NM – Accessible by following the green tourist mark from Michalovy Hory
- Podhorní vrch NR – Accessible by following the red tourist mark on the path from Mariánské Lázně via Ovesné to Kladruby
- Moučné pytle NM – Accessible by following the green tourist path from Karlovy Vary to Horní Slavkov