The mystical Krudum Mountain (sometimes listed as Chrudim) has three peaks; the northern peak rises to 838 metres, the western peak is 831 metres and the eastern peak is 837 metres above the sea level. The best starting point to get to Krudum is from the village of Třídomí near Horní Slavkov. From Třídomí, you will take the green-marked tourist path to Milíře keep in mind that the green path is not shown on the map precisely but it definitely leads to Milíře). From there, you will continue for 1.5 km to the northeast up a sand road, which will take you to the eastern peak and straight to the former look-out tower. The tower was named Kempf's Tower after Andreas Kempf, a native from the hamlet of Lán (Hub) near Krásno. He was born on January 22, 1865 and as a small boy, he moved with his parents to Třídomí, which today is a deserted village at the foot of Krudum. He studied medicine in Vienna where he later also became chief physician at the Theresian Academy. He never forgot where he came from and he dedicated his prosaic works written in Cheb dialect to his native homeland. He died as a renowned and respected personage on May 2, 1929 and he was not forgotten by the local people. In 1931, an association founded in the town of Loket set a goal for itself to build a look-out tower on Krudum that would bear Dr. Andreas Kempf's name. In the same year, Dr. Ing. Anton Thun from Loket published a collection of Kempf's prosaic works depicting the land under Krudum, and the revenue from the sold copies of the book along with contributions were used to fund the construction of the look-out tower. The look-out tower was opened in 1932, yet it collapsed in the 1970’s.
There is a gleam of hope for the ruined look-out tower because another association has been founded in 2001 under the name Krudum a spol. (Krudum & Co.), which, in the spirit of its predecessor, set an objective to re-build the tower. In 2007, all there was left of the tower was a pile of stones, however, a road leading to the eastern peak was built in the following year because a 50-metre high steel radio-communication tower was erected there. The pile of stones from the old tower is gradually disappearing and soon, there will be nothing left but a memorial tablet on a nearby cliff.
Krudum is said to have a green head (forest), a heart of silver (silver ore), and a foot of gold (gold had once been washed in the swamps at its foot). Even today, remnants of gold washing may be found on the slopes of Krudum, i.e. placers (heaps of waste rock) and surface depressions (modified land relief). Records also indicate that amethyst was extracted in the area.
The importance of Krudum for the whole area is so immense that it cannot be neglected. The whole territory surrounding Horní Slavkov, Krásno and Loket is closely connected to the mountain. Krudum itself is entwined with many legends ang tales and its historical significance is considerable. The interconnection of some of the legends about Krudum with reality is quite intriguing. Such example may be found in the tale of St. Nicholas dwelling on Krudum. Native German inhabitants told their children that on the eve of St. Nicholas Day, St. Nicholas descended from his home on Kudrum and went among children, rewarding the good and taking away the naughty in a bag back to Krudum. The tale is obviously associated with the Gothic Church of St. Nicholas, which has stood at the foot of the mountain at the junction of the roads to Hrušková, Třídomí and Nadlesí in the Middle Ages.
A rather unusual guard stone, which is known among the locals as the French Stone, may be found on the westernmost peak of Krudum. The name probably derives from the letters Fr which are a part of a ensign engraved in the stone: "Reg Imp Fr pmo 1808". The mysterious letter Fr does not denote France but Emperor Franz I and the stone had been placed there during his reign by imperial surveyors (who were probably Italian) measuring out military maps of the West Bohemian borderlands for the Austrian headquarters before the upcoming war with Napoleon's France. The second trigonometric point is located on Vysoký kámen (High Stone) near Luby.