Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
General Information
Information for Visitors
TOP TEN
Accommodation
Practical InformationExpand Practical Information
Cultural InstitutionsExpand Cultural Institutions
BalneologyExpand Balneology
NatureExpand Nature
Tourist SightsExpand Tourist Sights
In the Footsteps of HistoryExpand In the Footsteps of History
Man Changes the Face of the RegionExpand Man Changes the Face of the Region
Active MovementExpand Active Movement
CuriositiesExpand Curiosities
Photogallery
Region Virtual Sightseeing
Region Virtual Sightseeing 

 Karlovy Vary - Mill Colonnade

 Karlovy Vary - Mlýnská kolonáda/Mill Colonnade

GPS : 50°13'30.72"N, 12°52'54.84"E

The new renaissance structure is 132 metres long and 13 metres wide and was completed in 1882 according to the project of the architect J. Zítek. It covers a total of five springs – Mlýnský (Mill), Skalní (Rock), Libušin (Libuše), Knížete Václava (Prince Wenceslaus) and Rusalčin (Rusalka). Within the colonnade there are 124 columns, the colonnade orchestra pit is decorated with allegoric embossments by the Karlovy Vary sculptor, Václav Lokvenc. Twelve allegoric statues, representing individual months of the year, stand on the balustrades of the colonnade roof terrace.
 Karlovy Vary - Under-Croft I

 Karlovy Vary - Under-Croft I

GPS : 50°13'21.72"N, 12°53'4.2"E

The cemetery which even surrounded the new church building (St. Mary Magdalene Church) was cancelled in 1784, and the bones that were discovered were deposited in the undercroft of the new church.

 Karlovy Vary - Theatre - Klimt's curtain

 Karlovy Vary - Theatre - Klimt’s Curtain

GPS : 50°13'15.96"N, 12°52'54.48"E

The town theatre built in accordance with the project of the Vienna studio of Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. According to their design all lighting appliances, chandeliers, and especially the rococo lamps on the stairs were implemented. The interior decoration and painting was entrusted to the brothers Gustav and Ernest Klimt and Franz Matsch.

 Mariánské Lázně - Main Colonnade

 Mariánské Lázně - Main Colonnade

GPS : 49°58'36.12"N, 12°42'23.4"E

1888-89 according to the projects of arch. Miksch and Niedzielský). An imperious cast-iron structure was cast in Blansko iron works. There is a unique decoration – a wooden coffered ceiling. The author of the ceiling fresco dating back to 1979 is the artist, J. Vyleťal.

 Mariánské Lázně - Singing Fountain

 Mariánské Lázně - Singing Fountain

GPS : 49°58'36.48"N, 12°42'22.32"E

The Singing Fountain was built between 1982 and 1986 under the care of the Municipal National Committee in Mariánské Lázně as a part of the reconstruction of the promenade space in Maxim Gorky’s area. The fountain was designed by the architect Pavel Mikšík, architectural and technical cooperation was provided by ing.arch.dr.Otakar Kuea and ing. Pavel Janeček. The first music piece especially composed for the Singing Fountain was "Music for the Fountain" by Petr Hapka. Other compositions followed from works by F. Chopin, W.A. Mozart, J.S. Bach, Ch. Gounod, B. Smetana, A. Dvořák and other composers. The fountain resounds every odd hour and the compositions take turns in regular order. The Singing Fountain resounded for the first time on 30 April 1986.

 Lázně Kynžvart - Chateau court

 Lázně Kynžvart - Chateau Court

GPS : 50°0'15.84"N, 12°36'19.8"E

The cast-iron details of Metternichovy železárny (the Metternich Iron Works) belong among unique exterior furnishing – the fountain in the court, the Diana statue below the chateau, portable benches as well as technical objects – the look-out pavilion by Lesní kaple (Forest Chapel), the grating closing the court of honour, the bridge rails etc.

 Lázně Kynžvart - Chateau dining room

 Lázně Kynžvart - Chateau Dining Room

GPS : 50°0'16.2"N, 12°36'18.72"E

During the Chancellor’s time the predecessors’ gallery was located here, which was reconstructed by Prince Richard into a dining room with wooden linings in 1870. The family portraits remain preserved. Above the fireplace is the portrait of the most famous of the Chancellor’s predecessors - Lothar von Metternich, the Trier archbishop and prince-elector. The gilded table set with mirror trays was made by the Parisian company, Thomire. Prince Richard and Pavlína Metternich were given it as a good-bye present from the city of Paris in 1870. In the cupboard on the left there is a porcelain set decorated with gold and cobalt, originally from Sevres in Paris.

Three-aisled church

Chlum svaté Maří - Three-Aisled Church

GPS : 50°9'0"N, 12°32'10.32"E

The plan of the three-aisled main church (36 m long; 29 m wide) takes the form of the Latin cross with a slightly open transept. The entrance leads into narrow side aisles, as a direct entrance to the main aisle was not possible due to the location of the chapel of grace on the west side. A narrow suspended trave bears an organ loft, followed by two bays with a semicular vault and sectors divided by a band over the double post. The post cell decorates the Corinth pilasters bearing entablature finished with a bracket cornice. On the east and west sides the main aisle is interconnected with the fluted Corinth pilasters and a grooved band to the unified area unit consisting in itself. The side aisle trave accompanying both the main aisle and the suspended trave are opened through arcades towards the main aisle.

 Teplá - Monastery library

 Teplá - Monastery Library

GPS : 49°58'1.92"N, 12°52'41.52"E

The main hall of the library is 24 m long, 12 m wide and 15.5 m high. The ceiling frescos decorated by Karel Kratner, a Professor of the Prague Academy of Arts, represent a celebration of the altar Eucharist, four ecclesiastical teachers and four evangelists. The second largest library in the CR contains more than 100,000 volumes.

 Teplá - main church aisle

 Teplá - Main Church Aisle

GPS : 49°57'59.76"N, 12°52'43.32"E

The Church of the Annunciation of Our Lord consecrated in 1232 by the Prague Bishop Jan II.

 Cheb - square

 Cheb - Náměstí Krále Jiřího z Poděbrad/Square of George of Poděbrady

GPS : 50°4'46.56"N, 12°22'12.72"E

 Kynšperk - Wooden footbridge

 Kynšperk - Wooden Footbridge

GPS : 50°7'19.92"N, 12°31'32.88"E

As the town of Kynšperk nad Ohří was situated along the bank of the Ohře River opposite the railway line, the need for proper bridging increased. A direct connection in this direction was enabled through the old wooden bridge that was often damaged by floods often occurring during spring melting and, furthermore, it did not allow the carriage of heavy freight. Therefore, in 1875 an iron bridge was built on the stone piers behind the brewery where the waterway is narrower. After cutting the slope descending to the river, the road was built passing from the town and continuing across the railway line to Pochlovice on the other side. Only a regulation of the Ohře River below the town enabled the old wooden bridge to be replaced by a new concrete bridge between 1923 and 1924. The river was bridged by a near 130 m long pavement that was framed by a significant span in the section over the river. The bridge and the foot bridge which were destroyed by the German military at the end of the Second World War were first replaced by provisional wooden crossings built with help of the army. In 1950 the wooden bridge was destroyed by floods, after which the local municipal enterprises built a new bridge with a covered deck in its place. The provisional wooden bridge was replaced by a reinforced concrete bridging structure that was only implemented between 1955 and 1957.