Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
Karlovy Vary
Mariánské Lázně
Jáchymov
Františkovy Lázně
Lázně Kynžvart
Interesting Buildings and Landmarks  
New Spa

Nové lázně (New Spa) 

The building from 1885 was built in the style of the Italian Neo Renaissance. The middle part of the building is decorated with allegoric sculptures representing the importance of water for treatment. The spa boasts an amazing Roman Bath mimicking the Roman Bath in Budapest and the municipal bath in Vienna. On the ground floor there is the Royal Cabin originally used for the noblest guests.

Casino Social House

Společenský dům Casino (Casino Social House) 

This building from 1901 is another example of Italian Neo Renaissance style. It is formed by three large halls. The middle marble hall is used for cultural events. The side halls are used for catering purposes. Sculptures decorating the facade symbolize individual types of art.

Centrální lázně (Central Spa)

This Neo Renaissance building from 1892 is the largest spa building in the town. The Mary Spring rises in the courtyard of the building and it is a place with massive eruptions of natural carbon dioxide that is then dissolved in the surface water. The name of the spring gave its name to the town itself. These three Neo Renaissance buildings were built by the architect Josef Schaffer. They are all joined into one complex via a corridor.

Carolina and Rudolf Spring Colonnade

Kolonáda Karolinina a Rudolfova pramene ( Carolina and Rudolf Spring Colonnade)

The original colonnade from 1872 was replaced by a copy in 1989. Water is directed here from the nearby Carolina Spring. The spring was named in honour of the wife of the Emperor Frantisek I, and the distant Rudolf Spring was named after the Crown Prince Rudolf.

Roman Catholic Church of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary

Roman Catholic Church of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary

Římskokatolický  kostel Nanebevzetí P.Marie (Roman Catholic Church of the Ascension of the Virgin Mary) 

The church in Neo Byzantine style with an octagon layout in 1848 was designed by the architect J J Guthenson from Munich. The style expresses the open minded attitude of the spa towards other religions. The picture on the main altar is an adapted copy of the Titian picture of The Assumption presented by Baron Carl von Hampl from Vienna. The thirty three entrance steps are symbolic of the 33 years of Jesus Christ.

Singing Fountain

Singing Fountain

 

Zpívající fontána (Singing Fountain) 

The fountain is the main feature of the promenade and one of the main attractions of the town. 1986 was the first time that the visitors could enjoy its beauty. Seven jet systems enable the creation of manifold combinations of jet projection. At odd hours water comes from the loudspeakers hidden beneath the bronze grilles. The fountain operates only during the main spa season from the end of April till the end of October.

Main Colonnade

Main Colonnade

Main Colonnade

Hlavní kolonáda (Main Colonnade) 

The colonnade was built in 1882 from prefabricated cast iron in the New Baroque style by the Viennese architects Miksche and Niedzielski. There is an alcove for an orchestra that gives concerts during the season. During the renovation work in the late 1970s and early 1980s the ceiling was painted by the academician Josef Vylet'al. The painting symbolises the human yearning to fly and the four bronze reliefs depict historical events of the town.

Cross Spring Pavilion

Pavilon Křížového pramene (Cross Spring Pavilion)

The original Classicism/Empire building from 1818 was replaced by a faithful copy in 1912 that has been adapted several times since then. There are two drilling holes for the collection of the Cross Spring. It was here that Dr Johann Josef Nehr opened the first spa season in 1898. His bust can be found in the courtyard of the column hall. Apart from the Cross Spring there is also water from the two further springs, the Carolina and Rudolf Spring. The double golden cross (a cardinal cross) above the dome of the pavilion reminds us of the contribution of the Tepla Premonstratensian Abbey to the founding of the spa.

Gogol Municipal Theatre

 

Městské divadlo N. V. Gogola (Gogol Municipal Theatre) 

The theatre was built in 1868 and rebuilt in 1905 in the Art Nouveau style. It was named after the famous Russian playwright and novelist who had visited the spa.

Orthodox Church of St Vladimir

Pravoslavný kostel sv. Vladimíra (Orthodox Church of St Vladimir)

The Church was opened in 1902 to cater for the numerous Russian visitors and it was designed in the Russian Byzantine style by G Wiedermann. The interior of the church is richly decorated with paintings, precious icons and ornaments. The most precious art work and at the same time the most important example of its kind is the majolica iconostas that was awarded the Grand Prix of France in Paris in 1900.

Anglican Church

Anglikánský kostel (Anglican Church)

The church was built in the New Gothic style in 1879 and it resembles an English village church. Nowadays, it is used for exhibitions, concerts and an exposition dedicated to the English King Edward VII who attended services here during his stays in the spa.