Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
TOP TEN
Accommodation
Practical Information
Cultural Institutions
Museums
Galleries, Orchestras
Theatres
Observatory
Town/Municipal Libraries
Balneology
Nature
Tourist Sights
In the Footsteps of History
Man Changes the Face of the Region
Active Movement
Curiosities
Photogallery
Region Virtual Sightseeing
Museums 
 

Regional Museum of Karlovy Vary Region
Museum Karlovy Vary
Zámecký vrch 22
360 01 Karlovy Vary
tel.: 353 224 433-4

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz 

Museum Karlovy Vary

The Museum in Karlovy Vary was established after 1865 as an integrated facility together with the town library and the archive. Already then, thanks to Karlovy Vary collectors, rich collections and documents concerning typical Karlovy Vary crafts were gathered. From 1876 a private museum of engraver Anton Pitroff, an enthusiastic collector, whose collections were later integrated into the Karlovy Vary Museum, was opened to the public. In 1937 the museum obtained a part of dr. Becher's collections and a collection of targets and trophies of the marksmen’s club.

Regional Museum of Karlovy Vary Region
Museum Cheb
nám. Krále Jiřího z Poděbrad 493/4
350 11 Cheb
tel.: 354 422 292

sekretariat@muzeum.cz

Museum Cheb

In the former Town House, one of the oldest burgher houses on the Cheb Square that used to being indicated also as Pachelbel's house after its most-known owner, the Museum of the Town of Cheb, belonging among the oldest regional museums in Bohemia, was opened on the 15th of May 1874. With its approximately 100 000 pieces of collection objects, extensive secondary documentation funds regarding the Cheb region history, and a large study library; it belongs to the most important museum facilities in Western Bohemia. In the new art and historical exhibition visitors will get to know the voluminous history of the town, as well as the region; a rich art handicraft collection of the museum, among which, for example, the Cheb antependium – bead altar embroidery from the 14th century, gothic and baroque sculptures, and demonstration of the Cheb inlaid work with allegories of the Evening, Morning, Day and Night from the workshop of J.K. Haberstumpf are most attractive. Preserved parts of the altar from the nearby Ostroh (Seeberg) dated to the end of the 15th century, created by the sculpture Mourning over the Dead Christ; and the altar wings with panel paintings with the Calvary scenes belong to the representative exhibits too.

Regional Museum of Karlovy Vary Region
Museum Sokolov
Zámecká 1
356 01 Cheb
tel.: 352 623 930

muzeum@muzeum-sokolov.cz

Museum Sokolov

The museum in Sokolov was established as early as in 1934 by the local museum society based in the object on Staré náměstí (Old Square). After the Second World War it was re-located into the chateau after this object was left by the army. In 1982 the museum was turned into the town museum and from 1984 it bore the district museum statute. In 2003 it was devolved under trust power of the Karlovy Vary Region as the Sokolov Regional Museum. In 1998 the museum branch in Krásno (Schönfeld) and in 2001 the branch at Horní Slavkov (Schlaggenwald) were put into operation. Since January 1, 2007 the Karlovy Vary, Cheb and Sokolov museums have been unified into the new organization of the Regional Museum.

Municipal Museum Františkovy Lázně
dr.Pohoreckého 8
351 01 Františkovy Lázně
tel.: 354 542 344

Municipal Museum in Františkovy Lázně

The museum history starts in 1912, when the local civil association gathered historical objects among the Františkovy Lázně citizens for a future local museum. This initiative was supported by Evžen Loimann, mayor of Františkovy Lázně at that time, who transferred the whole issue into competence of the town – thus the museum was officially founded and was housed in the building Aeskulap No. 131 in Americká Street. After the end of the First World War management of the museum was assumed by Alois John, a notable regional scientist who obtained exhibition halls in the 1930’s and turned the collection into a real museum. During the Second World War the museum ceased to exist and its collections disappeared. From 1957 collection objects began to be gathered again and in 1958 the museum was relocated into the today’s building in Dr. Pohoreckého Street (close to the theatre). Besides extensive exhibitions documenting the history of the town and balneology; also the museum management, the economic and business departments, the history department and a special library are housed here. Nowadays the museum has about 7000 collection objects.

Municipal Museum Mariánské Lázně
Goethovo náměstí 11
353 01 Mariánské Lázně
tel.: 354 622 740

muzeum@muzeum-ml.cz

Museum Mariánské Lázně

The museum is located in the oldest house of the historical part of the town. This is an important architectural monument dating back to the 19th century and it is the last proof how the town looked like at the time of its founding. The house was built in 1818 as a boarding house for spa guests, called "Zlatý hrozen" (Golden Bunch of Grapes”). In 1823, Johann Wolfgang Goethe stayed here. The bronze memorial plaque (above the arched entrance) and the newly opened exhibition on the 1st floor, which has been readapted and completed recently, commemorate Goethe’s stay here. The museum, founded in 1887, has been residing in this building since 1953. The museum regional collections of the region of Mariánské Lázně were concentrated here. In 1975 - 1979 the object was reconstructed and a new one-story additional building, featuring a projection room, and auditorium and rooms for new exhibitions, was built on the courtyard. Another reconstruction of the historical building was realized in 1998 - 1999. The museum exhibitions are completed with the exhibition in the open nature "Geological Park", created on an area of almost 10 ha near the museum building.

Museum Aš
Ethnographical and Textile Museum

Mikulášská 3
352 01 Aš
tel.: 354 525 195

info@muzeum-as.cz

Museum Aš

The Aš Museum is an allowance organization of the town of Aš and is located nearby the Catholic St. Nicholas´ Church on Mikulášský vrch (Mikuláš Hill) in Aš. The Aš museum was founded in 1892. Especially ceramics, furniture, national costumes, arms, paintings, books and collections donated by the town citizens, continuously supplemented with donations by the local burghers and manufacturers, were exhibited here. It has had its today’s look since 1966, when it was relocated into a reconstructed building of the manor-house, an Empire building built by businessman Unger at the place of the burnt-out chateau of the Zedtwitz family on the Mikulášský vrch. In 1986 a textile exhibition, arranged in a modern way, documenting development of textile production in the Aš region from the oldest production process of spinning, weaving, knitting, colouring and finishing until the mid-20th century, was opened in the Aš Museum. The exhibited looms and knitting machines are maintained in working order. Nowadays this exhibition represents a reminder of the textile industry in Aš that became extinct after the Velvet Revolution. The exposition “History of Aš Region”, opened in 1988, covers the crucial history events in the Aš region from the first written records dated back to 1270 until the end of autonomous development of the Aš region by so-called “Temperament Points” of Maria Theresa, dated back to 1775. Crafts development in the Aš region is documented from the middle of the 17th century until the beginning of the 19th century. The exhibition is completed with furniture, porcelain, glass and paintings from private collections of the Aš burghers, dated back to the 17th to 19th century.

Moser Glass Museum
Kpt. Jaroše 46/19
360 06 Karlovy Vary
tel: 353 449 455


customerservice@moser-glass.com
 

Moser

The museum introduces the famous history of Moser company founded by Ludwig Moser in 1857. The exhibition includes historical exhibits, glass instruments, medals, decrees and other historical documents, photographs, samples of design books, catalogues and historical promotion materials. A part of the exhibition is devoted to the glassworks deliveries for monarchs and notable persons.

Bookbinding Museum in Loket
Town Hall
TGM 1
Loket
tel: 352 684 350

Museum Loket

The Bookbinding Museum was opened by the town of Loket in 2001, by permanent exhibition in Černá věž (Black Tower). On the initiative of Jan Hadrava, a former mayor, Jan and Jarmila Sobota, leading art bookbinders, and Loket citizens, were invited to create the museum. Shortly after their return from the USA in 1997 the Sobotas were the main initiators in founding the Society of Czech Bookbinders based in Loket. Their popularity among Czech bookbinders and collectors as well as personal friendship with leading bookbinders from all over the world were the main reason why the museum obtained 90% of all exhibits free of charge.

Zdeněk Bálek - Museum of Historical Motorcycles and Czech Toy Exhibition
nám. 5. května 2
364 64 Bečov nad Teplou
tel: 606 737 041

Museum Bečov nad Teplou

The Museum of historical motorcycles exhibits about 40 pieces of historical motorcycles, then historical bicycles and motorbike engines. The exhibition is being permanently extended and completed with historical bicycles as well. Some exhibits are the world nonesuch preserved as in their entirety, and some of them are the only ones preserved in the CR. The Czech Toy Exhibition of Czech Toy is conceived as an unrestrained demonstration of the Czech folk toys in our classical toy manufacturing regions (Krouno, Skašov, Hlinecko) up to production of contemporary Czech toy producers focused on natural materials. The exhibition contains several hundreds of exhibits and is continuously being added to, as well. The exhibition also includes a small shop where some toys can be purchased. On the ground floor you can visit the exhibition about the development and history of cutlery and non-firearm weapons, there is also a sales gallery and a souvenir shop on the right on the ground floor.

Mostov Chateau - Museum of Porcelain
Mostov Chateau
Mostov 1
350 02 Cheb

recepce@mostov.cz

Porcelain from Horní Slavkov

The Museum of Haas & Czjzek Porcelain, the first porcelain manufacture in Bohemia is housed in the premises of the Mostov Chateau. More than 200 exhibits from antique shops and private collections received adequate showroom space in Mostov. The collection includes hand-decorated lithophane cups, tea and coffee sets richly decorated with cobalt and gold; and the unique vases, trays and friendly sets (sets for two). The highlight of the exhibition is figural porcelain. The great rarity are the obtained objects of Baroness Olga, her fans, parasol or her personal clothes, as well as copies of various letters, picture postcards or photographs received from the Haas family contemporaries that are still alive.

Museum in Horní Blatná - Regional Museum Branch Museum
362 37 Horní Blatná 127
tel.: 353 892 046
or 353 892 000 , cell phone: 775 971 322

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz

Museum in Horní Blatná

The original town museum at Horní Blatná was founded already before 1938 and ceased to exist at the beginning of the 1950’s. In 1977 the Karlovy Vary Museum created a new exhibition focused on tin extraction in Krušné hory (Ore Mountains). Here you can see models of mining technology, mineralogical collections; and pewter tableware. In 2001 a minor regional gallery was added to the museum. The museum is a part of the nature trail Vlčí jámy (Wolf Hollows).

Jan Becher Museum
T.G.Masaryka 57, 360 76 Karlovy Vary
tel: 353 170 177, 186,156

muzeum@jan-becher.com

Jan Becher's Museum

It is a part of the production plant that replaced an original pharmacy about 150 years ago. Besides commentary (in six languages), audiovisual projection and exhibition of historical exhibits related to the Becherovka spa liquor, the guided tour includes also a visit to original vaults and some production rooms. However, some places remain secret. For example, the room called "Drogikamr" has been entered by only a few selected people. It is behind its locked door where, several times a year, experienced hands weigh exact quantities of dried flowers, leaves, barks or ground root and mix carefully a fragrant mixture of twenty herbs and spices – the basis of the future liquor. In conclusion of the tour visitors can relax in the museum bar.

Museum in Nejdek - Regional Museum Branch Museum 
náměstí Karla IV. 238, Nejdek 363 21
tel: 353 925 702

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz

Museum in Nejdek

In 1976 - 77 the Labour Movement Museum was established in a burgher house. This exhibition was cancelled after the November Revolution (1989) and cleared the space for an ethnographically orientated permanent exhibition from the collections of the Karlovy Vary Museum. They are especially folk arts, ceramics, tin, under-painting on glass or decorated furniture. Exhibitions lasting one or two months are organized on the ground floor of the building of the Karlovy Vary Museum.


Museum in Horní Slavkov - Regional Museum Branch Museum 
Pluhova 211
357 31 Horní Slavkov
tel: 352 688 130

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz

Museum in Horní Slavkov

Horní Slavkov Museum is located in a newly adapted house No. 211, neighbouring with the architecturally most valuable building in Horní Slavkov (Schlaggenwald) – the Pluhův House (No. 497), with which it is associated also through their common construction and historical development. It is a one-story basement house with a six-axis window plane forefront without plastic elements of the façade articulation. The uniquely preserved space of the former scullery, which was an important part of the burgher house interior, is of a high value in terms of historical and documentary evidence. The house structure indicates its gothic-renaissance origin, and in our region it is influenced by a Saxony type of urban development. As a branch of the Sokolov Regional Museum the museum in Horní Slavkov was opened in 2001 with an intensive support of the town of Horní Slavkov. Historical milestones and significant spheres of human activities that affected dramatically the town history are presented in the permanent exhibition.

Krásno Mining Museum - Regional Museum Branch Museum 
Cínová 408
357 31 Krásno
tel: 352 688 740

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz

Museum Krásno

Krásno Mining Museum is a branch of the Sokolov Regional Museum. It is located on the site of the historical Vilém tin mine founded on the Gellnauer lode system that was in operation, with many interruptions, up to the 1990’s. In the area of Vilém mine a preparation plant building, machine shops building, head frame and shaft building, head house, gate lodge and building of one of the oldest transformer stations on our territory have been preserved. The main building of the museum, reconstructed in 1994 - 1998, served as a tin-ore-preparation plant in the 18th and 19th centuries. The exhibition was inaugurated on September 5, 1998 on the occasion of the 2nd meeting of mining towns and villages of the Czech Republic that was held in Krásno. The former preparation plant serves as the main object of the open-air mining museum that is situated on a several-hectare area. The museum itself is completed with many remnants from the extraction and preparation of ores in the surroundings, access to which will be provided step by step through a system of themed trails and paths. Reconstruction of the other buildings in the area of Vilém Mine was undertaken in 1998 – 2004, and they have been open to the public since 2004.

Museum Jáchymov - Regional Museum Branch Museum 
Nám. Republiky 37
362 51 Jáchymov
tel: 353 811 695

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz

Museum Jáchymov

The present museum exposition called Jáchymov in the Mirror of Time consists of a total of 15 halls on two floors and is built in a Renaissance building of the then Royal Mint dating back to 1536. Visitors become familiar with geology and mineralogy of Krušné hory (Ore Mountains), archaeological findings of the Royal Mint, ore mining in the 16th century, numismatics and coinage. The museum attraction is a large-area mobile model of the Krušné hory mining works in the 16th century. Visitors can also see the exhibition mapping labour camps in the Jáchymov (Joachimsthal) region after 1948. The museum is devoted to commemoration of Georgius Agricola (1494 - 1555), a notable scientist, whose life and work is closely associated with Jáchymov.

Museum Žlutice - Regional Museum Branch Museum 
Velké náměstí 1
364 52 Žlutice
tel: 353 393 357

sekretariat@kvmuz.cz

Museum Žlutice

The town museum was established in 1910. It offers visitors collections relating to the town history. In 1953 the collections were taken into possession by the town museum in Bochov. In 1971 the museum workers installed here the exhibition devoted to the Hussites. The Žlutice Museum became a branch of the Karlovy Vary Museum in 1973. In 1992 the town history was added to the exhibition. The tour includes also a jail-house with the exhibition on the right of entailing capital punishment. A part of the medieval underground under the museum building is accessible too.