Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
TOP TEN
Accommodation
Practical Information
Cultural Institutions
Museums
Galleries, Orchestras
Theatres
Observatory
Town/Municipal Libraries
Balneology
Nature
Tourist Sights
In the Footsteps of History
Man Changes the Face of the Region
Active Movement
Curiosities
Photogallery
Region Virtual Sightseeing
Observatory 

Observatory and Radio Club of Spa Town of Karlovy Vary
K letišti 144
360 01 Karlovy Vary
tel.: 777 953 421

hvezdarna.kv@email.cz

Observatory and Radio Club

Astronomy does not have a long tradition in the Karlovy Vary Region. According to historian Karel Nejdl a private observatory built by pharmaceutical chemist František Wočadlo existed here in the Karlovy Vary main street for a short time. On June 9, 1954 the first astronomical group was formed by the then Krajský dům osvěty (Regional House of Education) in Karlovy Vary. Following long-time efforts, construction of the observatory on Hůrky was completed and inaugurated on July 7, 1963. Nowadays the observatory develops its own vocational audio-visual programmes, and projects by means of a data-projector. Lower spaces were successfully reconstructed as a suitable facility for children and the youth. The observatory workers would like to complete the reconstruction of the telescope to an automatic control by means of the Internet, and form an integrated information system for the Karlovy Vary Region.