Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
TOP TEN
Accommodation
Practical Information
Cultural Institutions
Museums
Galleries, Orchestras
Theatres
Observatory
Town/Municipal Libraries
Balneology
Nature
Tourist Sights
In the Footsteps of History
Man Changes the Face of the Region
Active Movement
Curiosities
Photogallery
Region Virtual Sightseeing
Theatres 

Karlovy Vary Theatre

360 01 Karlovy Vary
tel.: 353 224 302

vstupenky@divadlokarlovyvary.cz

Karlovy Vary Theatre

TheatreThe first Karlovy Vary theatre building was built in 1717. Dr. David Bechera, a famous physician, got permission and then financially supported the construction of a new theatre building in the 2nd half of the 18th century. On July 15, 1787 the foundation stone of the first Karlovy Vary stone theatre was thus laid, and the theatre was inaugurated with Mozart’s opera The Marriage of Figaro (Le nozze di Figaro) almost within a year. The building slowly step by step deteriorated, and the construction of a new theatre started in October 1884. The project was entrusted to the Vienna studio of Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. The year-round operation started in 1939, during which time drama, opera and ballet existed together here for the first time. The theatre building was badly affected especially during the war and post-war periods; therefore it was necessary to start its repairs. However, general reconstruction of this valuable object was carried out only towards the end of the century. Due to emergency conditions the theatre had its last performance on June 30, 1993 for a long time. The extensive and unique reconstruction was completed in 1999. Closely afterwards, the theatre re-inauguration took place on June 24 – 29, 1999.    

Western Bohemian Theatre in Cheb

Divadelní nám. 10
350 11 Cheb

info@divadlocheb.cz

Western Bohemian Theatre in Cheb

Theatre in ChebThe building of the town theatre in Cheb was inaugurated on the 3rd of October, 1874. It was designed by the architect V. Pröckel and built by builder K. Haberzettel. As opening performances two parts of the Wallenstein Trilogy by Schiller, The Piccolomini and Death of Wallenstein, were introduced. A play in Czech was first performed in Cheb by the Czech Association Česká beseda (1881-1897) that was aimed at “advancing the general education and social life". After establishment of the Czechoslovak Republic the number of Czech inhabitants substantially increased in Cheb, and in 1926 the amateur theatre society Budil was founded. In 1955 the reconstruction of the theatre building started. On May 8th 1960 the reconstructed building of Divadlo Pohraniční stráže (Border Guard Theatre) was inaugurated with the play Fidlovačka by Tyl, directed by V. Hátle. The permanent professional scene was formed in Cheb in 1961. In the 1970’s the Cheb theatre became an asylum for theatre professionals who were suppose to be forgotten in Prague. The new times without ideological bonds represent a stage of the existence, at which viability of a professional theatre organism in the Cheb region is demonstrated. In 1992 the town of Cheb became the trustee of the Západočeské divado, and thanks to its open attitudes the theatre is still alive. Since 1999 the Cheb ensemble has been invited to participate in the Czech Republic’s professional theatre meetings in Prague, where it has won many prestigious awards.