Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
Technical Monuments
Bridges and Footbridges
Mining
Waterworks
Sokolov District 
 
  HORNÍ SLAVKOV (Sokolov) - Baroque road bridge most
A small stone road bridge with one semicircular arch and a slightly arched deck. The statue of St. John of Nepomuk, dating back to about 1750, is placed on the parapet wall. The bridge reaches over the brook in the left part of the Republic Square in the historical town centre. The sculpture is registered in the list of immovable cultural monuments.
  HORNÍ SLAVKOV (Sokolov) - Road bridge
Initially it might be a fortified court, but as early as in 1333 John of Luxembourg founded a royal mining town here, which is also famous for the fact that our first porcelain factory was built in this town. A sophisticated system of water channels was created here since the 15th century. Therefore we find, besides other monuments, also several bridges here. Despite the fact that, as K. Kuča, our leading expert in towns and villages said, after accession of the totalitarian government in 1948 Horní Slavkov was affected by "destruction that belongs to the largest communism’s cultural crimes in our country." The majority of settlements were razed to the ground – for example, 70 % houses were demolished – and the town was almost wiped out from surface of the earth! The first bridge we are mentioning is a stone road bridge, one-arch, with a segmental arch, dominated by the arch-stone ornamented with a diamond. The handrail at the bridge structure from the beginning of the 19th century is formed by a low wall. The bridge bridges over the local creek in a south east part of the town and forms the access to the petrol station nowadays.
  HORNÍ SLAVKOV (Sokolov) - Road bridge
A small stone road bridge of rough stone, while its front is of rough pointed walling. The arch has the span of three metres and the camber of less than one metre, and is very depressed with no spring lines´ uprising. The vault consists of high arch-stones, the top wall is more than two metres high and the handrail is covered with flat broad stones. The bridge also spans over the local creek and is 6 metres long in total.
  HORNÍ SLAVKOV (Sokolov) - Road bridge
A worn-out bridge with one very depressed arch with high arch-stones and an almost two-metre top wall. The bridge is 6 metres wide, but only 4 metres long.
 Kynšperk nad Ohří KYNŠPERK NAD OHŘÍ (Sokolov) - Wooden covered bridge for pedestrians
Initially the Czech Kings´ fortification on the state border was granted the status of a town as early as in 1232. A renaissance chateau and a baroque church are here. The technical monument was an original reinforced concrete bridge, 130 metres long, by which a toll house used to stand. It was irrationally destroyed in 1945 (only its remains have survived). In 1947 it was replaced by a wooden bridge that was, however, also destroyed in 1950. In the same year it was restored for 1.3 million Czechoslovak Crowns. The Kynšperk bridge structure is exceptionally strong. The bridge (if we do not take into account the Český Krumlov "Rechle" - covered pedestrian bridge) is the longest wooden bridge in our country, as it is 63 metres long. The bridge provides the connection between the town centre and, via the Okružní Street, also with the local railway station. It is laid on 3 concrete piers that are 2.5 metres high and tipped into icebreakers on the upstream side. The rest of the early concrete bridge is 15 metres long. The bridge is accessed through 4.5-metre high portals. They are formed by two pairs of uprights covered with inclined lagging. On each side the bridge has 13 window openings with the parameters of 2.6 x 1.6 meters, divided by a beam in the middle. All four window openings´ corners are bevelled. The whole frame supporting structure is formed by upper and lower quadruple beams, doubled vertical piers and counter bracing, one arm of which is also doubled. The roof of the frame consists of five rafters, below which a horizontal X-tie is found. On the both sides of the bridge there are side frames, cross-connected with two 0.8 metre high honeycombs overhead. The honeycomb element is used with the inclined lagging on both upper and lower parts of the deck. The Kynšperk bridge has 65 rafters, 30 double-uprights and 15 cross honeycombs. An electric cable passes through the bridge; hot-water conduction is below its frame. The handrail at the portals is furnished with short half-span roofs. The bridge side bracing is formed by X-ties with one double arm, through which only one – but stronger – beam passes. The Kynšperk bridge – in terms of the structure ingenuity – may have its analogue only in Suchovršice.

Chain bridge in Loket

LOKET (Sokolov) - Remains of the chain bridge
In Loket – which is mentioned as a town in 1308 for the first time – Upper and Lower Bridges over the Ohře River are documented as early as in late Middle Ages. The connection of Robičské Square with the opposite slopes above the river was enabled thanks to the wooden bridge called Röhrsteig (at the place of today’s bridge) that is mentioned in documents as early as in 1637. Another bridge, also wooden, called Kaisersteig, located at the end of Zahradní (Garden) Street, was destroyed later. A baroque stone arch bridge might have stood here in the middle of the 18th century. The remains of the square piers of hewn stone come down on the left bank of the parapet wall with the statue of St. John of Nepomuk (which might have decorated the baroque bridge), originating from the later chain bridge. It was then called Emperor Ferdinand’s Bridge and was the work of Mr. Wöllner. This very adventurous structure for that time as well as the artistically successful work bridged over the valley (not far from the current bridge) and led on a new road from Sokolov via the town of Loket to Karlovy Vary. This Empire chain bridge dated back to 1835 (at that time the town was newly developed thanks to its connection with production of porcelain) and has been captured on several pictures and photographs, of which two you can find on the cover of the book and in the attachment. In 1936 it was replaced by the current bridge.

Loket

Loket

LOKET (Sokolov) - Road bridge
A three-arch reinforced concrete road bridge from 1936 is 116 metres long and its main arch has the span of 74.6 metres. It has a bush-hammered surface and a side stairs into the valley of the Ohře River that it bridges over at the exit from the town to Sokolov.

Loket - road bridge

Loket - road bridge

LOKET (Sokolov) - Road bridge
The road bridge over the Ohře River encompasses the I/6 communications between Karlovy Vary and Sokolov. It fits sensitively – as well as its chain ancestor did - into the panorama view of the Loket Castle. The bridge was built by Stavby silnic a železnic from Prague in 1970 -1975, the plans were developed in Pragoprojekt Praha. After 1945 the bridge at Loket was the largest Czech arch bridge and until the 1990’s it was the last one of this type built on the territory of the Czech Republic. Its static system is represented by a flexibly fixed arch. The deck consists of simple supports. The arch has the span of 126 metres, the total length of the bridge is 296.3 metres, width 13 metres, and the maximum height above the valley floor of the Ohře River 54 metres. The height of the supporting structure is 2-2.34 metres on an arch and 1.4 metres on the deck. Instead of the lagging, B-system from steel screen was used during its construction.
Footbridge in Svatoš Rocks LOKET (Sokolov) - Bridge for pedestrians
In a romantic environment of the rocks Svatošské skály near the town of Loket, 6.5 km down the Ohře River, a reconstructed wooden bridge adds to the charm. Its repair took place in 1998-1999 and cost CZK 1 million. The bridge is 75 metres long and 1 meter wide. Width of the piers, which are 4 metres long, is 5.4 metres. The bridge height above the river level is 4.85 metres.

Oloví

Oloví

Oloví

OLOVÍ (Sokolov) - Road bridges
The reinforced concrete girder bridge at Oloví in the Sokolov Region bridges over the tiny Svatava River. Parts of its parapet are decorated with square cavities. The bridge dates back to 1912. Another bridge passes through the river flood plain and, with the above mentioned bridge, forms conurbation connected with retaining walls.
  SOKOLOV (Sokolov) - Road bridge
The town of Sokolov, originally Falknov (in German: Falkenau) was founded in the 13th century and granted the privileges by John the Blind of Luxembourg in 1313. However, it became the possession of the Czech Kingdom only in 1366. There are many architectonic monuments in the town, as well as a modern bridge over the Ohře River. It has three segment arches with five-metre spans and a 1.5-metre camber. Both central piers have semi-conical calottes.
Vintířov

VINTÍŘOV (Sokolov) - Road bridge
Vintířov is mentioned as a mansion for nobility as early as in the 13th century. Considering the state of its structure, the local large road bridge was removed in 2005 and then replaced by a brand-new bridge. The bridge passes only through mine sidings, has three spans, its supporting structure is formed by prefabricated elements of pre-stressed concrete. Its supports are massive; two central articulated supports are formed also by two posts with a square ground plan.

Kraslice KRASLICE (Sokolov) - Wooden bridge for pedestrians and cyclists
The town and alpine resort Kraslice is situated along the roads in the Svatava River valley in the western part of Krušné hory (Ore Mountains). Initially a mining town, it lies along the trade route to near Thuringia. On the bridge at the town there is a nice Rococo statue of St. John of Nepomuk dating back to the 18th century. A unique wooden arch bridge, unmatched nowadays on the territory of the Czech Republic, has been lately built here, maybe also in support of the border trade revival. The bridge is over 18 metres long and almost 4 metres wide. The both arches on the bridge sides with the span of four metres are – as well as the both central supporting beams - glued, otherwise larch and oak wood is used. The bridge lies on the tourist path between Kraslice and Hraničná and bridges over the Svatava River towards Klingenthal. It is designed for pedestrians and cyclists. With its picturesqueness it falls right into the landscape frame and brings back to the life the tradition of wooden bridges in our country (many years ago a similar bridge could be found in Prague - Libeň). The bridge was designed by PROMO, spol. s r. o., with its headquarters in Prague, architectural drawings were developed by Dagmar Šimlerová. Works documentation was compiled by Armabeton Division 07 TESCO from Prague that also produced glued structures. The construction was financed by the Town Council in Kraslice that invested CZK 2 million, and built by the affiliate company of the Stavby silnic a železnic from Karlovy Vary. Preparation works, handrail assembly and finishing works were prepared by EKOLL from Lítov. The path, on which the bridge is situated, shall separate pedestrian and cycling communications from busy road traffic to a quiet natural zone. The exact model of the bridge by Jiří Svoboda is in VUT Brno (Brno University of Technology).