Skip Navigation Links
Skip navigation links
Česky
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
Pусский
Skip navigation links
Technical Monuments
Bridges and Footbridges
Mining
Waterworks
Karlovy Vary District 

Most v Doubí KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Doubský Bridge
A reinforced concrete road bridge across the Ohře River. It was built in 1966 and reconstructed in 1999. Its length is 76.5 metres and width 11 metres. It attracts attention by its original V shape of the pier. It connects Plzeňská Street at Doubí with the main road from Karlovy Vary to Cheb with the entrance at Jenišov.
Jean de Carro's Footbridge

KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Jean de Carro´s Footbridge
The pedestrian bridge with a cast-iron structure and sculpture (temporarily metalled in its supporting part), and with a forged handrail is situated between Divadelní and Labitzký´s Bridges. The original bridge was standing here as early as in 1820; the contemporary one dates back to 1874 and was reconstructed in 1991. The footbridge is 17 metres long, 3 metres wide, and bridges over the Teplá River in the spa centre, connecting Stará and Nová Louka.
Festival Bridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Festival Bridge
The road cast-iron bridge with a decorated handrail, bridging over the Teplá River, dates back to 1880 and was reconstructed 90 years later (in 1970). Its total length is 17 metres, width 11 metres. It ensures the entrance from Mariánskolázeňská Street to the Grandhotel PUPP – one of the traditional centres of the Karlovy Vary cultural and social life (Miss elections, film festivals etc.) – its recent name is derived from here.
Goethe's Footbridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Goethe’s Footbridge
This bridge, spanning over the Teplá River, dates back to 1895 and has been, unfortunately, in emergency conditions for a long time, so it is closed. The bridge connected the Mariánskolázeňská Street with Goethe’s Path, where is, among others, the monument commemorating J. W. von Goethe’s stay in the local spa and its surroundings. The object is not far from the town centre, nearby the Church of Dr. Farský Charge. It has a cast-iron structure and plastic decorations with a forged handrail.
Gogol's Footbridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Gogol´s Footbridge
The bridge, reaching over the Teplá River, is rather old; it was mentioned for the first time in written documents as early as in 1812, the current one was restored (or rebuilt) in 1874 and reconstructed in 1986. It is 18 metres long and 3 metres wide, and connects current the I.P. Pavlova Street with the Mlýnské Embankment.

Chebský Bridge

Chebský Bridge

KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Chebský Bridge
The five-arch road stone bridge, bridging over the Ohře River, was put into operation in 1869. It was enlarged on both sides by steel pavements in 1904, but its tie members accidentally broke and pavements were tilted in 1984. At that time the bridge was reconstructed in a record-breaking 380 days from the beginning of the accident and in 1985 it served the public again. Its total length is 111.2 metres and its width (including pavements) is 8.8 metres. It connects the business and administration centre of Karlovy Vary (T. G. Masaryk´s Street, Zborovská and Západní Streets) with Rybáře (Sokolovská Street) and the former main road No. I/6 of Prague - K. Vary - Cheb.

Jánský Bridge

Jánský Bridge

KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Jánský Bridge
The road bridge in the very centre of the Karlovy Vary spa quarter, bridging over the Teplá River between Divadelní Square with Tržiště (Market Place) and Stará Louka. It is one of the oldest Karlovy Vary bridges surviving up to these days. It was reconstructed in 1970. It is a one-arch bridge with a decorated handrail. Its length is 18 metres and width 12 metres.
Charles IV Bridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Charles IV Bridge
The road reinforced concrete one-arch bridge dates back to 1913. It is 18 metres long and 11 metres wide. It bridges over the Teplá River in Slovenská Street on the outskirts of the spa centre nearby the Art Gallery. It is well-restored.

Labitzký's Footbridge

Labitzký's Footbridge

KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Labitzký´s Footbridge
The bridge with a cast-iron structure has sculpture and a forged handrail. It dates back to 1874 and was reconstructed in 1990. It is 17 metres long and 3 metres wide. It bridges over the Teplá River in the spa centre, connecting Mariánskolázeňská Street with Mírové (Peace) Square at the Grandhotel PUPP.

Dvořák's Footbridge

Dvořák's Footbridge

KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - The footbridge at Dvořák’s Gardens
The modern reinforced concrete bridge for pedestrians nearby the hotel Thermal dates back to 1971-1972. It is unique for its very bevelled bridging of the Teplá River (the angle is only 37°), as well as a very low construction height – having only one thirtieth of the span. The bridge is 30 metres long and 8 metres wide, the all-welded structure weighs 45 tonnes.
Lázeňský (Spa) Bridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Lázeňský (Spa) Bridge
The road bridge, spanning over the Teplá River, was built in 1812. Its current looks dates back to 1874, although it was entirely reconstructed in 1986. Its total length is 18 metres and width 12 metres. It connects Charles IV Street and I. P. Pavlova Street with Sadová Street.
KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Mickiewicz´s Bridge
The road bridge over the Teplá River dates back to 1912. In 1985 it was thoroughly reconstructed. Its total length is 25 metres and width 14 metres. It can be found in the south of the spa territory, at the end of U Imperiálu Street.
Ostrovský Bridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Ostrovský Bridge
First the bridge bore the name of our First President T. G. Masaryk (Masaryk’s Bridge), and at some time it was also called Thälmann´s Bridge. In 1932 and in 1990 it was entirely reconstructed. It is a road bridge of pre-stressed concrete, with gradient, one wide segment arch and one direct breastsummer over its entrance. Its length is 242 metres and width 11.5 metres. It bridges over the Ohře River and, at the same time, a railway line from the lower railway station to the upper railway station in Karlovy Vary. It is one of the first bridges of pre-stressed concrete on the territory of the Czech Republic.
Poštovní (Post) Bridge KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Poštovní (Post) Bridge
The modern reinforced concrete road bridge over the Teplá River was built in 1969, when it replaced the original, dysfunctional in technical terms bridging at that time. Its length is 18 metres and width 13 metres. It connects today’s Jan Palach´s Embankment with Osvobození (Liberation) Embankment and T. G. Masaryk’s Street. It is remarkable especially for its decoration, as mailbox shapes are indicated in its piers. Its name is derived from this (besides the fact that it leads directly to the Karlovy Vary Main Post Office).
  KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Richmond Bridge
It is the most decorative Karlovy Vary spa bridge. It has a character of a park bridge with four spans; the balustrade railing is divided by three posts with flat open vases. Even at their ends both parapets are decorated with concrete statues of naked little boys-putts who form an entirety with the electric illumination embedded in the vase stands. The decoration is completed with a garland. The bridge, bridging over the Teplá River at the hotel of the same name, dates back to 1927. Its length is 21.3 metres and width 8 metres.

Špitálská (Hospital) Footbridge

Špitálská (Hospital) Footbridge

KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Špitálská (Hospital) Footbridge
In the place of today’s Špitálská Bridge one of the oldest Karlovy Vary bridges used to stand. The current bridge with its cast-iron structure, the sculptured and forged handrail belongs to the oldest ones, too, and it was reconstructed in 1988. Its length is 17 metres and width 3 metres. It bridges over the Teplá River in the spa centre, where it connects Vřídelní (Hot Spring) Street with Tržiště (Market Place).
  KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - Toskánská/Tuscany Footbridge
Called also the Bridge at Toscana. The bridge has a girder steel structure and a forged handrail. It dates back to 1880; its length is 18.5 metres and width 2.5 metres. It spans over the Teplá River in the area of the garden restaurant Toscana (its name is derived from here) in Slovenská Street with forest paths.
U Galerie (At the Gallery) KARLOVY VARY (Karlovy Vary) - U galerie (At the Gallery) Bridge
The small road bridge, reaching over the Teplá River, dates back to 1876. It was subject to reconstruction in 1970. Its length is 17 metres and width 5 metres. It passes from Slovenská Street to the left bank of the Teplá River, where parking space can be found, and also to the Art Gallery (its current name is derived from here).
  KFELY (Karlovy Vary) - Road bridge
In the municipality, there is an originally baroque manor house from the end of the 17th century rebuilt to stables. There is also a road bridge over the Bystřice River. It has a stone arch that was extended by steel supports and is furnished with sprayed concrete (a layer of sprayed concrete with steel reinforcement). With its simple shape it falls well into the landscape framework.
Kyselka KYSELKA (Karlovy Vary) - Suspension footbridge for pedestrians
Kyselka, established in 1792-1793, represents a famous spa on the Ohře (Eger) River, located 15 km to the north-east of Karlovy Vary, concentrated especially on treatment of adolescents and for convalescence. The famous Mattoni mineral water is bottled here too. The local springs have been known since 1552 and the spa was founded here at the end of the 18th century. The steel suspension bridge, bridging over the Ohře River, is 50 metres long, 2 metres wide, and has a total of 9 spans, each 5.5 metres long. Its deck is born by two parallel wire cables with diameter of 25 millimetres. On the side towards the spa the cables are raised onto two steel four-meter high rods. Both rods are open into a V-shape. From both sides of the bridge six vertical cables lead from the suspension cables to the deck. The construction is located opposite to the local post office and the spa house Švýcarský dvůr at Kyselka. A very similar bridge is also in Piešťany (Pistyan), Slovakia.
 Radošov Bridge RADOŠOV (Karlovy Vary) - Covered road bridge
Radošov Bridge over the Ohře River was built in the ford at the places, through which King John the Blind arrived in Bohemia in 1310 for the first time. In 1364 his son, Emperor Charles IV, granted the town of Ostrov the right to build the bridge and to collect duties on rare goods imported especially from Rhineland on the land road. This land road is mentioned as early as in 1220. It was Radošov where the wooden bridge on stone piers was procured at the cost of 800 gold dollars and with work of the liege people from the close surroundings. Unfortunately, it burnt several times, but was always restored. The bridge was mentioned again in 1576, 1639; it was newly built in 1742, restored in 1752 and again in 1756. Its big repair was completed in 1980. It used to have four big windows and 28 small windows in the cheek boards, the pitch of the roof covered with shingles used to be very high. Its supporting structure consisted of three pairs of longitudinal beams that were 19 metres long and up to 0.40 metre high. The hanging truss bridge used to be laid on two piers of broken rock, cutwater of which was rounded on the upstream side. The attached upper parts of the piers used to be covered with roofs. Three bridge openings used to have clearance of 14.17 and 14 metres, the bridge was four metres wide. In 1979 its age (after the last reconstruction) was estimated at 150 years. The total length of the bridge was 47 metres, the crest of the saddle roof used to be six metres above the deck. Height of the cheek boards was 4 metres. However, the unique existence of the bridge was almost ended in several hours by the last fire in 1986. In 1992 - 1993 the Municipality of Kyselka declared a public collection of money for restoration of this cultural monument, where the collection’s main idea was that the person contributing even one symbolic Crown demonstrated that is able to admire, respect and understand traditions significance and preserve historical heritage. During ten years the sum amounted to tens of thousands was saved in this account. In 2000 - 2001 the municipality of Kyselka started preparation project works on Restoration of Radošov Historical Wooden Bridge at its own costs and at the costs of the collection. In consequence, partial subsidies were obtained for this purpose, project documentation was developed, the local construction administration issued the building licence on 24 April 2001 and the foundation stone of the Radošov Bridge restoration was laid on 9 July 2001. The bridge was opened again on 17 October 2003. In 2004 the bridge became the ”Karlovy Vary Region’s Structure of the Year". The photograph provided by Vít Pohanka
Bečov nad Teplou BEČOV NAD TEPLOU (Karlovy Vary) - Zámecký (Chateau) Bridge
Bečov – initially the castle with an older settlement, promoted to the status of a town in 1399 – is located about 20 km to the south of Karlovy Vary. Close to the castle there is Dolní (Lower) or also Nový (New) Chateau, rebuilt to today’s looks in the middle of the 18th century. And it is the access chateau bridge itself that takes a unique position among similar bridges. It is a 30-metre long structure with arcades of flat arches on stone prismatic piers of a rectangle groundplan with the parameters of 1 x 0.6 metre. A 3-metre wide bridge is decorated with two cast-iron statues and two cast-iron lamps. With their 3.5-meter spans the depressed arches have the camber of only one-metre. The piers are connected to the vault with girdles. The height of the upper edge of the full parapet is 5 metres from the moat bottom, vault tops are 2 metres below the upper edge of the parapet. The vault between two lines of a total of 12 piers is cross in its indications. The space below the bridge – as well as in so many other cases – attracts the storing of various materials, barrage and other secondary, usually unsightly utilization. The bridge dates back probably to the middle of the 18th century, when the chateau, including its fortified approach, got its current looks. It was preceded by a wooden bridge that is mentioned in written sources from 1656.

Toužim

Toužim

TOUŽIM (Karlovy Vary) - Road bridge
Toužim was originally the provost’s site of the Milevsko Monastery and was mentioned in about 1200. In the 15th century a castle was founded here and a town arose here too. Through several reconstructions the castle turned into a baroque chateau. Below the chateau the baroque bridge with sculpture – a baroque statue of St. John of Nepomuk - is situated. Today only its pedestal with the year 1794 and initials TL has remained on the bridge. Another local stone bridge with two arches furnished with sprayed concrete and a pier with a conical top dates back to the first third of the 19th century. It bridges over the Střela River. The bridge for pedestrians is built on the side of the river.