Mining works started at Přebuz as early as in the 16th century, but written documents have not been passed down the generations. It can be inferred from the fact that in 1698 - 1760 there were 16 - 20 stamping mills in operation and their number was continuously decreasing so that there were only 7 of them towards the end of the 18th century, and that the tin mining reached its peak in the period mentioned above. According to several accounting documents from 1781, 2056 Viennese cents (6.7 - 11.2 q) were smelted from that year up until 1810 inclusively, during 29 years.
The decline in the tin mining operated by poor businessmen was not only in lack of minable cassiterite ore, but rather in the fact that a growing depth of the mine shafts generated increased costs of water pumping and their timbering, which resulted in making the active operation of these mines financially impossible. Besides that, fees had to be paid from every cent of the produced tin to the nobility that held the mining rights. However, the nobles did not support the mining operations to such extent as to prevent it from extinction. Therefore, mining was in a decline; and from 1810, or 1811 on the entire mining business was at a standstill due to the poverty of the population.
In the past the most important mines were on the so-called Schiesshausberg, right next to the town. These mines were abandoned in 1811. Perhaps the oldest mining work at Přebuz was the mine adit passing under communal lands in the eastern part of the mining district. There are considerable excavations on its lodes, after which many irregularities on the surface resulted. Because the mining continuously expanded, it was necessary to drive another; deeper St. Elisabeth’s drainage tunnel (or what the miners call “a sough”) passing under the local mountains at a depth of 20 - 24 Freiberg fathoms (38.8 - 46.6 m).
The following sections were connected in this mine adit:1) Dobré jitro (Good Morning) Section, Volský (Bovine) Section and the Malý jánský (Small Jánský) Section by several small shafts, of which none reached below the level of this mine level. 2) St. Elisabeth’s Section by an 18-fathom (35 m) deep mine shaft raised to the surface that reaches 6 fathoms (11.6 m) below the drainage adit level. 3) St. Bartholomew’s Section and the Wölfl Section which were rich in high-quality ore. 4) Apparently the most important sections were the Jánský, Medvědí (Bear) and Panský (Master) that are connected with the drainage sough by shafts 24 - 25 fathoms (46.6 - 48.6 m) deep. These shafts are sunk to the depth of 9 fathoms (17.5 m) below the mine adit. Water was raised by pumps installed in these mine shafts to the mine adit level and then drained through it.
Minor cassiterite lodes occur at Přebuz in the so-called Schmelzhau and the Kronesberg area. They were opened through the mine adits for the strike length of 20 - 60 fathoms (38.8 - 116.5 m). These works have been out of operation for a long time. Only the mine adit on the southwest slope of Hartelsberg, which was driven in phyllites by entrepreneurs in an effort to find silver lodes; and was abandoned only just recently.