The village of Šindelová was first mentioned in documents in 1480, when a guarding fort, called a “Hradiště” in Czech, was built in the area of Krásná Lípa to safeguard the tin road from Přebuz to Jindřichovice.
In 1836 the construction of the largest iron works in the region was started. After its completion a blast furnace, 3 huge hammer-mills, a tinning plant, a smelter, a rolling mill and a core moulding shop were standing here. Three watermills and the second largest steam engine in Austria-Hungary served as propulsion. Two world patents were utilized here: tinning, later zincing, and continuous engraving. Slag was first formed into building blocks here.
The building of the former iron works – the blast furnace – is a technical cultural monument .