Krásno Mining Museum is a branch of the Sokolov Regional Museum. It is located on the site of the historical tin mine Vilém founded on Gellnauer lode system. It was in operation with frequent interruptions up until the 1990’s.
In the area of Vilém Mine the ore preparation plant building, the workshop building, head frame and shaft building, the engine house, gate-keeper’s house and the building of one of the oldest transformer stations on our territory have been preserved. The main building of the museum, reconstructed in 1994 – 1998, served as a tin-ore-preparation plant in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The exhibition was inaugurated on September 5, 1998 on the occasion of the 2nd meeting of mining towns and villages of the Czech Republic that was held in Krásno. The former preparation plant serves as the main object of the open-air mining museum that can be found on an area of several hectares. The museum itself is supplemented with many remnants from the mining and preparation of ores in the surroundings, access to which will be gradually made accessible through a system of themed trails and paths. Reconstruction of the other buildings in the area of the Vilém Mine was undertaken in 1998 – 2004, and they have been open to the public since 2004.
The main feature item is the steam hoisting machine from the Marie Mine dating back to 1897 and the exposition concerning its transfer from Královské Poříčí. Furthermore, the history of brown coal mining from the 19th century up to today is presented here. In the neighbouring room ceremonial full-dress mining uniforms are displayed and details of underground surveying are presented. On the floor there is an exhibition of mineralogy and geology of Slavkovský les (Slavkov Forest). The exhibition of the ore deposits of Český massive, exploited after 1945, is interesting too.
The head frame and shaft building, the engine house, transformer station and machine shops of Vilém Mine are opened to the public too.